What can I do to Prevent Hair Loss?
Every Day Care of the Hair
There are certain things in every day life that can be done to slow hair loss or avoid it all together. Hair care professionals recommend the following:
- Limit heat exposure. Too much blow-drying or hot-curling can damage hair.
- Limit chlorine exposure. Wear a bathing cap while swimming and shampoo immediately afterwards.
- Avoid over-pulling during braiding and making ponytails
- Don't over brush. It puts stress on the follicles.
- Hair is more fragile when wet. Avoid vigorous combing or brushing wet hair. Using a conditioner or detangler after shampooing can make grooming easier.
- Eat a balanced diet. Nutritional deficiencies, eating disorders and excessive amounts of certain vitamins, such as A and E, can cause hair loss.
- Stay away from harsh chemicals - permanent hair color and perms are the most damaging - and avoid coloring your hair more than once every six to eight weeks.
Frontal Hair Transplant
A medical hair transplant is a common solution for some individuals to stop hair loss. After receiving a transplant, you will have to continue to take some sort of
hair loss preventative like Propecia to ensure that the transplanted hair does not fall out.
Some professionals believe in alternative medicine for hair care treatment. Here a few "natural" ways to prevent hair loss:
- Eat Sulphur rich foods as sulphur promotes hair growth.
- Practice Champissage(Indian Head Massage)
- Mineral supplements like Calcium, Chromium, Copper, Iodine, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Potassium, Selenium, Silica and Zinc.
- Aromatherapy with essential oils(Thyme, Rosemary, Lavender, grapeseed, jojoba and Cedarwood)
- Drink Detox Tea
- Massage scalp with Saw palmetto oil
- Ayurvedic herbs ashwagandha and amla are reported to stimulate hair growth.
- Trditional Chinese Medicine
Most commonly, prescription drugs like Rogaine and Propecia are used to prevent continued hair loss. While these products will not grow new hair back, they
so slow the process of loosing your hair or even sometimes stop hair loss in its tracks.